18 May 2009

Harvesting Time

Well, this is not on this farm. I did the harvesting on the other farm belonging to my wife's family. A day before the harvesting I went into the farm and saw many of the nests had been abandoned, especially on the ground floor, meaning that, the young swiftlets had flew off. Not to miss the opportunity to do harvesting and encouraged by others who had said that by harvesting irrespective of the numbers in the farm, the swiftlets will come back to build more nests, I came back the next date. I noticed a few nests have already been filled with eggs. I gave those nests a miss while I harvested the nests which are empty.


My harvest for the day. Enough for own consumpttion

A normal cup shaped 3 fingers nest


A freak nest. 4 inches long

Corner nests. Looks like a pair of bikini top. The nests are
yellowish because have been in the farm for quite sometime
and have been host to a few pair of swiftlets already

View before harvesting

View after harvesting. One nest is left behind
because there are eggs in it


View of another location before harvesting


View after harvesting

No comments: