12 November 2008

More Site Photos

As promised, I will be posting more photos as the construction works progress. The photo below is a view of my site seen from the main trunk road.




Here are more photos of my site taken from inside. Have a look at the site contour. Don't you think it is an interesting site?. If you think so, then keep track of the progress.







My site are surrounded by tall trees and shrubs and sits on a depression. That is why I have to raise my birdhouse so high until 4 1/2 storey. I had identified 2 possible entry points for the swiftlets, both on the swiftlet path, and I had chosen to build my roving room facing one of the entry point, that is the one facing Sungai Terengganau on the west. I have read many SIFUs who advise not to build facing west because the entrance hole is facing sunset. In in my opinion, it is alright as long as the nesting place does not get sunlight. In my case, the roving room is designed in such away that the sunlight are being blocked from entering the nesting place. In fact it is better for the swiftlets as they are entering with their backs facing the sunlight and they are not being disturbed by the glare of the sunlight. this has been proven in my previous construction where the entrance hole also face the west. Here are the photos of the 2 possible entry points into my BH. Entrance hole need not be directly facing the flight path. If there are feeding grounds around like rivers, lakes, oil palm plantations or fruit orchards, you can have the entrance hole facing these attractions. Like in my case, my experience with my 1st. BH, the flight path is on the left of the entrance hole which is facing the river and yet the swiftlets did not find any difficulty flying in. In fact, I have put up a 2nd hole 2' x 4' on the left side of the roving room but the swiftlets still prefer to corner in using the main entrance hole.



About swiftlet farming which is a billion dollar industry still unknown to many. A step by step guide to building a standalone birdhouse

No comments: